1. Feeding bread to ducks is bad for them.
Processed grains, such as are found in bread, can destroy a duck’s digestive system. It can even stop them migrating when they need to. Feeding them seeds and raw grains (except rice) is much better.
2. If you plug in earbuds into your laptop’s microphone jack, they’ll function as microphones.
It’s true. They won’t be very good, but they will work.
3. Claudette Colvin refused to give up her bus seat to a white person nine months before Rosa Parks did.
She was 15 years-old at the time and she refused a bus driver’s instruction to give up her seat. Civil rights leaders decided that she was too young, and outrageously, that she was too dark-skinned to make a good poster child for civil rights.
4. Most cars have an arrow on the fuel gauge that tells you what side of the car the gas tank is on.
5. Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + T will restore an accidentally closed tab, and Ctrl/Cmd + Alt + Shift + T will restore accidentally closed windows.
Nothing more annoying that accidentally closing a tab.
6. Antiperspirant is not the same as deodorant.
One stops you sweating, the other stops you smelling like you’re sweating
7. Humans do, in fact, use 100% of their brain.
The ‘you use just 10% of your brain’s capacity’ thing is a myth. Of course, you don’t use all your brain at the same time.
8. Your brain can’t handle walking and using your smartphone at the same time.
Each activity uses the same cognitive functions, so you can be walking along, looking at Twitter and not notice that the moving object coming toward you in in fact a car. We’ve all been that person. The one who walks straight into a passer-by because we’re busy texting. Try not to be that person again, it might save your life.
9. The limits of human endurance follow the rule of 3
You can go three minutes without air; three hours in extreme conditions without shelter; three days without water; and three weeks without food. Assuming you’re breathing, then your priorities in a survival situation are shelter, water, food, in that order.
10. Water won’t extinguish an oil fire.
If your fryer catches fire, don’t throw water at it as that will spread the oil and the fire. Instead, cover the pot and turn the burner off.
11. Any month that begins on a Sunday will have a Friday 13th.
It’s true – go on, count it out.
12. World War One officially ended on October 3 2010.
That was the day that Germany paid its final reparations under the Treaty of Versailles.
13. On average 2500 left-handed people die each year from using products designed for right-handed people.
14. Goldfish bowls are a bad place to keep goldfish
Most goldfish bowls are far too small for the fish. Each goldfish needs about 10 gallons of water to get sufficient oxygen. Looked after properly, goldfish can live for 20 years.
15. Mommy brain is a real thing.
During pregnancy a woman’s brain can shrink and then take 6 months after giving birth to recover. You know, the first 6 months of the baby’s life when the new mom is getting very little sleep. No wonder they can be forgetful or confused occasionally!