We only have 24 in each day. Many of us want to make the most of our time and be as productive as we can possibly be. Being more productive really isn’t that difficult if we know the valuable keys to time management.
So, here are 20 tips that will help improve your productivity:
1. Write out a ‘to-do’ list each day. It helps to plan the night before so you can hit the ground running as soon as you wake up in the morning.
2. Clean up your messes. Incomplete projects and piles of messes can weigh you down and take away from the energy you have to move forward with your goals. So, be sure to de-clutter your workspace to reduce stress and to help keep your mind focused on the job.
3. Eliminate all the distractions. This includes the phone, email notifications, and having multiple web browsers open on the desktop.
4. Complete the task you dread most first thing in the morning. Whatever task you dread doing most, go ahead and tackle it first so you get it out of the way for the day.
5. Optimize your prime time. Everybody has a certain time of daythey are more productive than others. Adjust your work schedule so that you are optimizing your prime time for high productivity levels.
6. Learn to say “No”. Learn how to say “no” to wasteful time killers that are keeping you from being more productive.
7. Wake up early. Be the first one up in the morning so you can start tackling your tasks while your home is still quiet.
8. Prioritize your tasks ahead of time. By listing your tasks in order of importance, you can make sure that you finish all of your most important tasks during the day.
9. Allocate a small period of time to tackle an unpleasant task. Allocate 30 minutes per day to tackling that daunting task until it’s finished.
10. Reward yourself. Be sure to reward yourself when you finish a huge task.
11. Be a drop out. Stop any activity that is taking up more of your time than it’s worth (i.e. clubs, meetings, channel surfing).
12. Exercise every day. Develop a daily workout routine to help boost your body and mind.
13. Find the right noise levels. Whether you like to work when it’s silent or if you enjoy listening to music, experiment with different sound styles until you find one that helps you with your productivity. I like it silence when I’m writing, but I prefer loud music while I’m doing physical work.
14. Avoid multitasking projects that require high-level thinking. If you are doing something that requires a great deal of brainpower, focus on doing that particular task and nothing else. Believe it or not, multitasking reduces creativity, causes mistakes, and makes it harder to remember all the important details.
15. Multi-task: For low-level thinking tasks, it’s okay to multitask. For example, you can do laundry while listening to your podcasts.
16. Just do it. Stop procrastinating. Just get up, get moving and see how much you are able to accomplish.
17. Delegate. If the work is something that needs to be done but can be better done by someone else or isn’t the best use of your time, delegate it out to the other people.
18. Get plenty of quality sleep. A good night’s sleep will help recharge your brain and your body for the busy day ahead.
19. Just quit. There may be some projects that are just not going anywhere. Don’t bother finishing them just to finish them. Put your energy to better use instead.
20. Be sure to set a deadline for your goals. A deadline helps create speed and action toward reaching your goals.