1. The food pyramid
It’s no longer pyramid of the perfect diet – its now a plate as we should eat equal amounts of whole grains, lean meats, veggies, and fruits.
2. We have 5 senses
We actually have many senses – how about a sense of balance, a sense of time, a sense of temperature, sense of pain, etc.
3. Brontosaurus didn’t exist
Except that it did (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-brontosaurus-is-back1/)
4. Success in school is key to success in life
Of course, you could try telling that to Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Simon Cowell…
5. Your tongue has taste zones
No, you don’t taste salt at he tip of your tongue and sour on the left, it’s all taste, all the time.
6. Cracking your knuckles will give you arthritis
It’s just the expansion of gas in your joints. No biggie.
7. You won’t always have a calculator with you
Apart from your phone, of course.
8. Pluto is a planet
We will never forget, Pluto.
9. Glass is a slow-moving liquid
It’s an amorphous solid.
10. You can’t start a sentence with ‘because’ or ‘and’.
Because you can, as it happens. And everyone knows that.
11. Adults know what they are doing
Now we’re adults we all know that we really have noidea what we’re doing.
12. Sunlight powers all life on earth.
Except for life living around thermal outlets under the oceans.
13. Veins are blue.
They are red as they carry blood, but they look blue as only blue light can penetrate that dep into the body.
14. Electrons orbit the atom nucleus like little planets.
In fact, they exist as a possibility cloud.
15. Dinosaurs are extinct.
Nope. They just learned to fly. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-dinosaurs-shrank-and-became-birds/
16. Stomach ulcers are caused by stress and diet.
They don’t help, but the cause is bacteria.
17. Carrots are good for your eyesight
True, but so are all vegetables.
18. The human appendix is useless.
Recent research says that in the event of an infection, the appendix floods the bloodstream with good bacteria.
19. Women can’t produce new eggs
Yes, they can, and do.
20. Your brain can’t produce new brain cells.
It can, it’s called neurogenesis.